Thursday 24 November 2011

Cinematic Montage

In our lecture last week we covered cinematic montage which is something I have studied before and as an animator and comic artist find really interesting.


I had previously thought of montage as a set sequence in a film where a largish period of time is shown to the viewer in a sequence of short clips with a soundtrack over it. Think the Rocky training sequences before the final fights. 


But this lecture made me consider a wider aspect of the montage in that basically a whole film can be considered a montage. It's a collection of scenes edited together, compressing time and telling a story or creating a feeling or feelings in the viewer.


I think what it is that interests me is how you as the creator can control what the audience feels about a certain scene or piece of imagery by choosing what to show in the sequence.


A short video we were shown in the lecture of Hitchcock talking about the Kuleshov Effect, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_Effect , explains what I'm getting at.






Klaus Janson talks about the juxtaposition of panels in comics to create different effects in "The DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics", http://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-Comics-Guide-Pencilling/dp/0823010287 , which I would consider montage I guess as it deals with different visuals and time as well.








The whole DC comics guide to creating comics are good reads for any aspiring comic creators out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment