Sunday 18 December 2011

Flour Sack and the Monolith

My flour sack animation for semester 1's character animation and acting submission.  The first 20 seconds or so are animatic only. 

This idea was to parody the sequence at the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey when the ancestors of man first discover the alien monolith.


The quality of the scans is a little low unfortunately but I am very happy with the actual animation. It was a very ambitious goal considering the final animated sequence is 24 seconds long and we had to submit a minimum of only 5 seconds of animation. 

There are some things I would have changed or fixed if I'd had more time. When  he walks back to the left side of the Monolith he shrinks a little because I "straight ahead" animated this portion. I ran in to some trouble with the key frames not being in the right places at that bit so tried straight ahead instead. I think it worked out well apart from the shrinking. Wish I'd noticed at the time!

the other thing I don't particularly like is his initial sneak towards the monolith. It doesn't seem cautious enough. I guess if I had animated that segment it may have looked more convincing. Who knows.

Anyway, enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment