Thursday 23 April 2015

April 2015 The Divided

It's been about a year since we finished "The Divided" for our degree. I submitted it to some festivals since then but had no luck :)  Here it is in all it's glory. Many thanks once again to all the amazing people who helped it come together. 

I don't know how to put into words the feeling of satisfaction and pride I have from completing this film. It was personal to me in a lot of ways and it's the first time I've produced something on this scale that I am really proud of. I can only hope every film maker feels like this when they see a project through to completion and release it.



The last couple of months I've spent working on comics and storyboard stuff. here's some snippets of what I have been doing.

One of the things I worked on was this Storyboard Art Test for Jam Media. I completed this using Photoshop for the actual frame drawings and put the board together in storyboard pro. Once I got used to storyboard pro I found it really useful. Especially the output formats for the final boards.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it up to a professional level. I'm sure there are still some obvious errors in there but drawing a line under it for now. Many thanks to Andy Eracleous for taking the time to give me some advice as well.



These first comics will appear in the Universe comics anthology , I imagine at some point in the summers this year, from the Masters comic studies course at Dundee University.


Both the scripts were great too and a lot of fun to work on.

The first story, By Cletus Jacobs, was about a guy who day dreams of being a super hero. It had a great mix of superhero action scenes and contrasting scenes of the characters mundane day to day life.


They were done entirely in Manga Studio 5 ( which I am slowly falling in love with!) I'm really happy how they turned out. The brushes in MS are a delight to use. Combined with working on a cintiq I think its as close to the feeling of working traditionally you can get without , y'know, actually working traditionally.

The second comic was a bonkers story about two giant monsters fighting in a city being filmed by aliens. Totally nuts but great to draw! It was written by Ricardo Serrano Denis and you can find some more of his work here http://onedegreeseparation.blogspot.co.uk/





I've also been developing a sci fi comic with an writer overseas. Here's a couple of panels from the first pages and some concept work



I did a bunch of concept work for some of the characters and overall look before starting.





Some ship designs for a sort of recon vessel. I think you can clearly see my influences :p






This is what we settled on for the space suit.


I also storyboarded the entire scene opening scene to get an idea of how everything would be laid out and how the action would flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment