Thursday 7 March 2013

I want to learn too much

I'm feeling pretty good after last week. It was great to have some pressure off for deadlines and get to work on whatever I wanted to for a few days.

We (myself, Scott and Amit) spoke to Malcolm about doing a visual effects piece for next year. We've already got some ideas and Malcolm seemed to think it would be achievable. We're looking into camera projection as a way of texturing objects quickly and to a good effect. 

It's pretty neat and not to hard to get to grips with. It'll be a good method for adding buildings to the background of our shot. This is a wee test. It's made by projecting a photograph through a camera in Maya and onto an object. There's a bit of match moving and aligning the perspective before doing it involved but once that's done its fairly straight forward and the results are pretty good.



I also used some of the time to do some concept work for "the divided". I've been itching to get at it for ages and always had other commitments.

Anyway, here's some of my paintings for the workshop interior and the ship.






I'm really pleased with these. It's been ages since I've felt I can sit down and really try to do my best on something. I also tried out some new techniques with the ship using the silhouette then lines to design them.

They were pretty well received at our production meeting on Wednesday and I'll be trying to do some more finalised designs for next week.

Riku rigging is done apart from some minor quibbles that need fixed and the skinning is about 80% done. I'll have a go at attaching his head this weekend. Really looking forward to being able to animate him.

In general things are going really well. I do feel though that there's so many different areas I'm interested in learning about that I have trouble really applying myself to one specific thing. I don't know how I will choose my focus for next year. 

The next few weeks should be almost all concept work and storyboarding updates which i am really looking forward to. I've a couple of personal projects I'm working on as well that have deadlines coming up but I'm managing to put an hour into them here and there which is keeping them moving forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment